bad referral errors scrolling across the screen

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Thu Apr 6 21:20:22 UTC 2000

In article <8ciprh$goe$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,  <fred at usd253.kansas.net> wrote:
>I am having a terrible time with bad referral errors. I have read
>through the posts and can not find a problem like mine. I am running
>Bind 4.97 on Linux. My box is: mybox.myisp.net

Please, why do you insist on making up names?

% host mybox.myisp.net
Host not found.

How are we supposed to help you troubleshoot if we can't send queries to
your server?

>I have errors scrolling off my screen constantly:
>
>Apr 6 15:19:57 named[2854]: bad referral (net !<)
>Apr 6 15:19:57 named[2854]: bad referral (NET !<)
>Apr 6 15:19:57 named[2854]: bad referral (MYISP.NET !<)

Those messages seem backwards.  In a "bad referral" message, the first name
should always be shorter than the second one.  The message is supposed to
tell you that you were referred to a server for a subdomain, but when you
asked it about something in that subdomain, it referred you back to a
parent domain server.  But the above messages say just the opposite: you
asked a root server for something, and it referred you to a server for
..net, which is what is expected (well, since most of the root servers are
also .net servers, you would usually get a referral to the myisp.net
server).

>I get all 3 of these scrolling off my screen nonstop. My ISP is at a
>loss why and I don't have a great grasp of Bind. I do know based on the
>posts that I read that I should have something after the !<.
>Like (com !< msnbc.COM)

The empty domain is the root domain (notice that there's no "." at the end
of "MYISP.NET" -- if you display the root domain without the trailing dot,
what do you think you'll get?).

In any case, my suspicion is that there's something wrong with your root
cache file.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.com
Genuity, Burlington, MA