DNS Management

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Apr 6 03:12:29 UTC 2000

Keith Donaldson wrote:

> I'm curious to know what folks are using to manage DNS.  I'm
> particularly interested in sites that manage a large number of domains
> and are constantly make modifications to zone files and such.  Are you
> using an open source solution that is working well for you?

We have at least 3 homegrown maintenance systems in use here, one of
which (ITM's) I wrote from scratch, and one of which (Engineering's) was
originally based on the University of Utah stuff and then heavily
modified. Engineering seems mostly happy with their system, as are we
with ours. We're also evaluating/piloting a couple of the commercial
packages, especially with an eye towards DHCP/DNS integration. One big
problem we are now facing (since we've gotten a lot bigger in recent
years) is trying to co-ordinate the maintenance activities of widely
disparate organizations, using different tools, sharing the same
namespaces, especially reverse mappings for shared subnets. I haven't
seen any open-source packages *or* commercial products that really handle
this elegantly; most of them seem to assume that they are the center of
the DNS universe and Thou Shalt Have No Other...

- Kevin