Public DNS Questions.. Almost there a little closer

Thor Kottelin thor at anta.net
Wed Apr 5 12:30:01 UTC 2000

BIND Users Mailing List wrote:

> From: boboki at hotmail.com

> boboki.com.  IN  NS ns1.granitecanyon.com.
> boboki.com.  IN  NS ns2.granitecanyon.com.
> boboki.com.  IN  RP boboki.boboki.com. txt.boboki.com.
> txt.boboki.com.  IN TXT   "BobOki the Hentai Cabbit"
> localhost.boboki.com.   IN  A  127.0.0.1
>         IN      MX 10   boboki.homeip.net.
> www     IN      CNAME   boboki.homeip.net.
> ftp     IN      CNAME   boboki.homeip.net.
>         IN      CNAME   boboki.homeip.net.

> Now this should work. boboki.homeip.net is updated automatically and
> instantly and I see no reason why it can't be redirected like this.

boboki at boboki.com won't work, since there's no MX (or even A) record for
boboki.com. Also, you have two identical CNAME records for ftp; you should
get rid of one.

> But
> I get a nslint: name referenced without other records:
> boboki.homeip.net.

Have you tried EXTREF, as explained in the Public DNS FAQ?

Thor

--
Plain old email is very insecure. Please make it
a little safer for yourself and me by using PGP.