V8 dump bollixes db. files

Delmer Harris dharris at kcp.com
Tue Apr 4 16:31:35 UTC 2000

I build new db. files from /etc/hosts on a regular basis, using the
date-based serial number to avoid serial number problems.  Since I changed
to 8.2.2P5 I notice that I occasionally receive the following message when
'h2n' runs:

Improper format SOA in db.whatever.
I give up ... sorry.

When I look at the db.whatever file I discover that it is no longer the
file created by 'h2n' but is instead a ";BIND DUMP V8" file.  I can
manually remove the db.whatever file and then 'h2n' will run properly until
the db.whatever file is once again overwritten by a dump file.

I am sure there is a simple option I can set somewhere which will prevent
the overwriting of the db.whatever file.  I have checked "DNS & BIND" and
found no reference in the index to a dump file other than the database
dump.  Would someone please tell me where to RTFM, what run-time option to
give 'named', or some other clue to help me avoid this problem?  TIA