authoritive??!??

Andris Kalnozols andris at hpl.hp.com
Tue Apr 4 07:41:22 UTC 2000

> I have a small problem....I am getting feedback from a site that is saying
> my nameserver is not authoritive for the domain.....here is the first few
> lines minus the timout figures....
>
> aulink.net.             IN      SOA     name.aulink.net. admin.aulink.net.
> aulink.net.             IN      NS      name.aulink.net.
>                                         A       203.42.220.209
>
>  Can anyone help me out? Should the bit after the SOA be changed to just
> aulink.net instead of name.aulink.net (the nameservers hostname)
>  I did have it that way actually but still got reports that it was wrong,
> although it has only been from this one site...
>  any help much appreciated
> Brad

h2n -V aulink.net

Verifying zone data for domain 'aulink.net'.
Getting NS RRset...
Transferring zone... (from 'NAME.aulink.net' [203.42.220.209])
Parsing zone data... (NS BIND version: 8.2.2-P3)
Performing in-zone and external lookups...

Warning: found zone(s) not having at least two listed nameservers (RFC-1034):
 @                      86400   IN NS   name
 unitedalliance         86400   IN NS   name
Warning: found inconsistent NS RRsets surrounding the zone boundary (RFC-1034):
 aulink.net.            IN NS   name.aulink.net.
                        IN NS   name1.aulink.net.
 (non-authoritative)
 ---------------------------- zone cut ----------------------------
 (  authoritative  )
 @                      IN NS   name.aulink.net.

dig aulink.net ns @name1.aulink.net. +norecurse
; (1 server found)
;; res options: init defnam dnsrch
;; res_nsend to server name1.aulink.net.  203.42.220.212: Connection timed out

The root nameservers are telling the world that 'name1.aulink.net.' is
authoritative for 'aulink.net.' but this is clearly not the case (outside
of your network, anyway).  You need to make it so and add the NS record
for it to your zone data file.

Andy