Current named.root file

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Thu Sep 30 18:04:24 UTC 1999

In article <rv5bvhr23i520 at corp.supernews.com>,
Jim Picerno  <jpicerno at speakeasy.org> wrote:
>The readme at ftp.rs.internic.net indicates that the named.root is not the
>most recent and the only way to get is by going thru their web page.
>Should I bother getting the latest named.root file from them or will an
>older version work okay? If I should get the latest how often should I
>update? thanx

The old one should be OK.  The file is only used as a hint to get things
started.  One of the first things that named does when it starts up is
query one of the root nameservers for the current list of root NS records,
and from then on it uses that list instead of what was in the file.  So
unless there's a humongous change in the root server address list, an old
file should work pretty well; you could easily get away with a file from 5
years ago (almost all the changes in the past few years have been
additions, not address changes).

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com