Another 'free dns', need your help...

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Wed Sep 29 23:02:03 UTC 1999

In article <gPvI3.39$2Z1.910 at ord-read.news.verio.net>,
Bill Webb <wwebb at adni.net> wrote:
>We don't need another "free" DNS. What people need is an excellent

If people didn't want a free DNS, why would they put up with all the
problems of granitecanyon.com?

What I don't understand is how do the organizations that run free services
like this justify it.  Do they get customers for their other services based
on their name recognition?  Granitecanyon.com doesn't even use the Granite
Canyon name for their other services -- it's apparently operated by
register.com, which I only found out by going to the bottom of their home
page (although I notice that the web page has lots of links to DNS
registration, and they all point to www.register.com).

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com