Trying to set BIND up on a server with no Authority for itself....

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Wed Sep 22 17:31:21 UTC 1999

In article <rui11a1llg793 at corp.supernews.com>,
Chris <chris at kingston.net> wrote:
>Using Bind 8.x on Slackware 4.0
>
>I am trying to set BIND up on a server whose DNS is controled by another DNS
>Server. My server is a registered Host with InterNic.
>
>I need to be authoritive for every domain that I have pointed to my server,
>whoever, I cannot move DNS that controls my server, as I am running on DHCP,
>and although my IP is fairly static,  may need to be changed.

It's not a good idea to register a server with InterNIC if its address is
likely to change.  They configure glue records on the root server, so
you'll need to send them a Modify Host form every time the address
changes.  And the glue records have 2-day TTLs, so the old address will
linger for quite a while.

>With that said, here is the problem:
>
>Not sure how to set up a new domain for DNS resolution without setting up my
>NS Server for itself first. I personally don't care about "mydomain.com" and
>DNS, but am concerned with "clinetdomain.com" which needs to be run off
>"NS.mydomain.com", my own server. I currently have a HOST file for my own
>personal domain infi, but that doesn't help my use DNS for the
>"clientdomain" which isn't related to me except that I am authoritive for
>the domain.

Can you configure the other DNS server, whose address I presume is static,
as a slave of your DNS server, and then list it in the registration of
clientdomain.com?  If the IP address of your server changes, you'll just
have to update the slave configuration of the other DNS server, but you
won't need to update the InterNIC registration.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com