soa.granitecanyon.com- New Question

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Tue Sep 21 14:58:16 UTC 1999

In article <7s6eqq$7u1$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>, RayDe  <raydemaps at my-deja.com> wrote:
>1. Network Solutions is currently serving an 'under construction page'
>for our domain.  After successfully navigating the not too challenging
>granitecanyon.com zone procedure; do I have to notify network solutions
>of the change? I fear we have a conflict.

You have to submit a Modify Domain form to have the nameservers changed to
the granitecanyon.com servers.  You also need to get your domain removed
from the worldnic.com servers; I don't know what the precise form for this
is, but it should be somewhere on the NSI web page.

>2. I would appreciate a critique of the zone record I submitted to
>granitecanyon.com, I was curious as to  how far off I managed to be
>after my all weekend 'full immersion in dns'.
>
>it is as follows:
>
>buildershardware.net.  IN SOA ns1.granitecanyon.com. ray.intertrick.org.
>IN  RP   ray.intertrick.org.     ( 69154405 10800 3600 604800 43200)

All those numeric fields belong in the SOA record, not the RP record.  The
RP record needs to be indented to make it a continuation of the
buildershardware.net name, and it's missing a field.  It should look
like:

buildershardware.net.  IN SOA ns1.granitecanyon.com. ray.intertrick.org. (
				69154405
				10800
				3600
				604800
				43200 )
                       IN RP ray.intertrick.org. ray.buildershardware.net.
ray.buildershardware.net.  IN TXT "Ray Demaps"

>Receive mail to our domain

You should add an MX record:

buildershardware.net.  IN MX 10  buildershardware.net.

>One big question remains;
>Is this too much for a guy who spent 21 years rattling gears and his
>brains driving a semi arround the Bay Area? It remains to be seen.

Get the DNS&BIND book.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com