4 or 8? (MkLinux)

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Mon Sep 20 23:48:10 UTC 1999

> I'm about to transfer all of our domains from the current QuickDNS Pro/MacOS
> config to a MkLinux/Bind setup, and am wondering what the major differences
> between Bind4 and Bind8 are.
>
> It's an easy "out of the box" setup to get 4 running on the system, but 8
> takes a bit of fenangeling, and I'm wondering if it'll be worth the hastle.
>
> Any advice would mean a lot. (especially if you have upgraded to bind8 on
> MkLinux DR3, and can help)

I suffered from the same fears.  But the configuration for v8 is even
saner, and there is the named-bootconf utility if you doubt yourself.
Even though my overall config lay outside the 98% [SWAG] that the
utility covers, it helped me be sure of the mappings.

The only changes to your zone files come if you are doing something
already illegal [microsoft.com in your zone file] or are using BIND
v8.2ff.  In the former case, repent.  ;-)  In the latter case, add a
"default TTL" as the first line of your zone files:

	$TTL	86400

e.g.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B