Generating /etc/hosts from zone files?

icculus4128 at my-deja.com icculus4128 at my-deja.com
Tue Sep 14 23:25:21 UTC 1999

Hi... I'm installing a new bind 8.2.1 server on Solaris. Our old Linux
server had a utility which would generate a new /etc/hosts file based
on the DNS zone files.

It was a mix of perl and C. Various pieces of it were called dns2unix,
mkhosts, and dnsparse.pl.

It was written by hakanson at cse.ogi.edu.

I've been scouring the net for hours trying to find the original
sources or an equivalent. I've found tons of utilities that will
generate zone files from hosts files, but not the other way around.

Surely this is a not-uncommon task.

Can someone point me towards something useful?

thanks

johnS

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/