Resolves hosts, not domain

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Fri Sep 3 23:55:05 UTC 1999

> I have just set up BIND for the 1st time and have one problem before
> everything is working.
>
> All hosts on my network resolve, but my domain does not.
> For example,
>
> This works:
>
> [root at colossus scott]# nslookup colossus.surrealistic.org
> Server:  colossus.surrealistic.org
> Address:  63.224.44.177
>
> Name:    colossus.surrealistic.org
> Address:  63.224.44.177
>
> This fails:
>
> [root at colossus scott]# nslookup surrealistic.org
> Server:  colossus.surrealistic.org
> Address:  63.224.44.177
>
> *** colossus.surrealistic.org can't find surrealistic.org: Non-existent
> host/domain
>
> --------------------------------------
> My db.surrealistic file:
>

> @ IN  SOA colossus.surrealistic.org. root.surrealistic.org. (
>                                 1999090302            ;surreal number
>                                 10800
>                                 3600
>                                 604800
>                                 86400 )
> ;
>   IN  NS  colossus.surrealistic.org.
>   IN  NS  hal.surrealistic.org.
> ;
> localhost            IN  A     127.0.0.1
> colossus             IN  A     63.224.44.177
> mail                 IN  CNAME colossus.surrealistic.org.
> www                  IN  CNAME colossus.surrealistic.org.
> ns1                  IN  CNAME colossus.surrealistic.org.
> colossus             IN  MX    10 colossus.surrealistic.org.
> hal                  IN  A     63.224.44.178
> ns2                  IN  CNAME hal.surrealistic.org.
> hal                  IN  MX    10 hal.surrealistic.org.
>

> Thanks
>
> Scott

This is all absolutely correct.  You're fine!  [Except for the lack of
a $TTL before your SOA.  And do you have reverse DNS?]

The domain name neither has nor needs an A record, which is what
'nslookup' looks up by default.  Try, instead:

	nslookup -type=any surrealistic.org

If you are one of these types who, for seem reason I can't yet
understand, feel they need to address some specific server in their
domain by their domain name, you could add an "A" record for your
domain name pointing to that server's IP address.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B