Resolves hosts, not domain

Scott Hunter scott at surrealistic.org
Fri Sep 3 22:45:42 UTC 1999

I have just set up BIND for the 1st time and have one problem before
everything is working.

All hosts on my network resolve, but my domain does not.
For example,

This works:

[root at colossus scott]# nslookup colossus.surrealistic.org
Server:  colossus.surrealistic.org
Address:  63.224.44.177

Name:    colossus.surrealistic.org
Address:  63.224.44.177

This fails:

[root at colossus scott]# nslookup surrealistic.org
Server:  colossus.surrealistic.org
Address:  63.224.44.177

*** colossus.surrealistic.org can't find surrealistic.org: Non-existent
host/domain

--------------------------------------
My db.surrealistic file:

@ IN  SOA colossus.surrealistic.org. root.surrealistic.org. (
                                1999090302            ;surreal number
                                10800
                                3600
                                604800
                                86400 )
;
  IN  NS  colossus.surrealistic.org.
  IN  NS  hal.surrealistic.org.
;
localhost            IN  A     127.0.0.1
colossus             IN  A     63.224.44.177
mail                 IN  CNAME colossus.surrealistic.org.
www                  IN  CNAME colossus.surrealistic.org.
ns1                  IN  CNAME colossus.surrealistic.org.
colossus             IN  MX    10 colossus.surrealistic.org.
hal                  IN  A     63.224.44.178
ns2                  IN  CNAME hal.surrealistic.org.
hal                  IN  MX    10 hal.surrealistic.org.

Thanks

Scott