Is the domain name after SOA important?

Jim Reid jim at mpn.cp.philips.com
Thu Oct 28 08:54:47 UTC 1999

    Marc> If I have another domain bar.com, and it has the same www
    Marc> host going to the same IP, is there any reason why I can't
    Marc> junk link the named.bar.com zone file to named.foo.com?

There's no reason why not, but it's not a good idea IMHO. Life is a
lot simpler when there's one zone file per zone. What happens if the
content of the two zones - identical at the moment - diverges? [It
probably will happen at some point.] What if you want to put things
like contact information - like customer details - in the zone file,
either as RRs or just as comments?