Is the domain name after SOA important?

Marc Merlin marc_news at merlins.org
Thu Oct 28 02:39:16 UTC 1999

@               IN      SOA ns1.foo.com. hostmaster.foo.com. (
                                93071200        ; Serial (yymmddxx)
                                10800           ; Refresh 3 hours
                                3600            ; Retry   1 hour
                                3600000         ; Expire  1000 hours
                                86400 )         ; Minimum 24 hours
			A	IP
			MX	IP

localhost		IN	A	127.0.0.1

www			IN	A	IP

According to the BIND documentation, the first field after SOA is the primary
server for the zone: ns1.foo.com

If I have another domain bar.com, and it  has the same www host going to the
same IP, is  there any reason why  I can't junk link  the named.bar.com zone
file to named.foo.com?

Thanks,
Marc

Finger marc_f at merlins.org for PGP key and other contact information