DNS Update && Slave Servers

Mark_Andrews at iengines.com Mark_Andrews at iengines.com
Thu Oct 28 04:11:45 UTC 1999

> Currently, I maintain my DNS on a machine behind my firewall that is not
> listed as an NS for the zones it services.  The NS records for the
> zones point to machines in front of the firewall.  They are kept in step
> by using DNS notification.  They are therefore slave servers.
>
> I would now like to dynamically update some of those zones, for use with
> DHCP.
>
> The problem is that ``nsupdate'' from the bind distribution steps
> through the NS records, and updates them in sequence.  Firstly, some of
> the servers are off-site ones I don't control and wouldn't accept update
> from me.  Secondly, I'm not sure what the semantic of a slave server
> with updates enabled is.
>
> I was hoping that the bind code (8.2.2) would allow me to send updates
> to a specified machine (presumably the master), increment the serial
> number and notify the other machines (slaves).  What appears to happen
> is that as soon as nsupdate encounters a server that says no, it stops,
> and anyway it uses the NS records to choose which servers to update.
>
> Does this mean that to use dynamic update I need to be able to update
> all the servers listed in the NS records?  And how can I update servers
> that are _not_ in the NS records?

	The protocol says that the slave needs to forward the request
	up the zone transfer graph to the master.  BIND however does
	NOT implement this part of the protocol.  There was an attempt
	to do it and there were problems with this attempt so the code
	was #ifdef out and no one has gone back and looked at it since.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, Internet Engines Inc. / Internet Software Consortium
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at iengines.com