dig: OK. ping: unknown host ??

Bettina Behle behle at tecs.de
Wed Oct 27 22:19:37 UTC 1999

Hi all,
having a local nameserver running Linux-krnl 2.2.10, Bind 4.9.7.
It's a master for zone foo.com and forwards all other queries to
ns.forward.com.
It's configured as a ipchains-firewall.

On THIS MACHINE:
I can successfully dig and nslookup hosts on local and remote networks.
When I try to ping/traceroute/ftp/telnet/etc. to this same host, I get a
"host unknown" error.
Logging named-queries show that there's no query in the second
(non-working) cases.
I do not get ipchains errors. Just nothing in syslog.

On every OTHER MACHINE on the local network:
Everything works fine.

I'm trapped. Don't know where to look further.
Any hints?
Thanks so much.

Torsten Behle
FCB/Wilkens Germany