Forcing zone transfers

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Mon Oct 25 14:44:49 UTC 1999

> I have a BIND 8 server and NT4 dns server which is the secondary.
>
> How can I make the BIND 8 server transfer the new zone info to the NT
> server when it has been added - currently the NT only receives the INFO
> after approx 3 hours as per the times in the zone files. But I would like
it if
> initially one can issue a command on the BIND machine which would forward
> the new info to the NT machine.

Make sure the Microsoft DNS Server is listed in the NS records for the
zone, and make sure you haven't turned NOTIFY off on the BIND primary
master.  Then, when the zone changes on the BIND primary master name
server, it'll send a NOTIFY message to the slave to let it know to transfer
the
zone.

> PS: Cricket - thanx for the help about the PTR records. :-)

You're welcome!

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
www.acmebw.com/training.htm for the
schedule and to register for upcoming
classes.