configuration of my DNS

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Mon Oct 25 04:10:44 UTC 1999

In article <7urq2f$obb$1 at weber.a2000.nl>,
Roeland <Roeland.Graat at bigfoot.com> wrote:
>;I'n having some trouble with setting up the configuration for my domain.
>
>;62.108.31.145 is my static IP. Roeland.eu.org is my domain.
>;My e-mail adres is Roeland.Graat at Bigfoot.com
>;Also what do I have to put after the TXT command.
>;And another question, if I want also www.roeland.eu.org on 62.108.31.145,
>should I do this with
>;www     IN CNAME     roeland.eu.org.
>
>roeland.eu.org.  IN  NS ns1.granitecanyon.com.
>roeland.eu.org.  IN  NS ns2.granitecanyon.com.
>
>roeland.eu.org.  IN  RP roeland.eu.org.    roeland.graat.bigfoot.com

That should be:

roeland.eu.org.  IN  RP  roeland\.graat.bigfoot.com roeland.eu.org

Your email address is supposed to be first, and the name of the TXT record
second.

You need the '\' in the email address to prevent the first '.' from being
treated as a substitute for '@'.  Otherwise, it means your email address is
roeland at graat.bigfoot.com.

>roeland.eu.org.    IN  TXT "some text I gues"

I think Granite Canyon expects this to contain your full name.  Check the
documentation on their web site for details.

>localhost.roeland.eu.org.   IN  A  127.0.0.1
>roeland.eu.org.       IN  A  62.108.31.145
>
>;Can someone tell me what i'm doing wrong.

Everything else looks fine to me.  I don't see any errors when I query
ns1.granitecanyon.com.  ns2.granitecanyon.com seems to be down, so I don't
know if the domain got transferred to it.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com