BIND 8.1.2 on solaris7 X86 Secondary DNS server

S0LARlSTEK at aol.com S0LARlSTEK at aol.com
Sat Oct 23 13:45:08 UTC 1999

I have a dsecondary dns server that is a dns for about 800 domains running
the following.

200mhz pentium 1
128MB RAM
SOLARIS 7 X86
Bind 8.1.2

This server is not crashing but sort of is crashing.  The problem I am having
is that port 53 which is the dns port is dying and not allowing itself to be
pinged through the DNS port.  If I reboot it the process will come back up
and be fine for an undetermined amount of time.  This box was worse about
this when I had 80MB RAM in it so I upgraded it to 128MB RAM and it still
having the problem but not as bad.  Is this a bind 8.1.2 problem or do you
think it is just a hardware issue.

If it is a bind issue I will have no problem going to bind 8.2.1.  If it is a
hardware isue I am going to switch out the box for

333mhz Pentium 2
256MB RAM
SSCI controller and all with wide SCSI Hard Drive.

Let me know your opinions so I can help to determine the problem.

Greg
GT CONEX Sys. Admin.
http://www.gtconex.com