if my ISP won't "let go" of the DNS for my IP then can I not put it in my DNS?

John Coutts administrator at yellowhead.com
Tue Oct 19 23:43:00 UTC 1999

You are correct in your assumptions to a degree. A domain name server
identified in a domain registration will simply provide the IP address for the
name requested. However, a reverse lookup on the IP address will probably not
get as far as the DNS server you have registered. It will get as far as the
PacBell system which has the authority for that address range, and will return
the name that PacBell has assigned to it. What PacBell is saying is that they
will not delegate the authority for a single IP address.

Some DSL providers have their routers set up to filter certain TCP ports. A
local one here for example, filters out all TCP ports less than 100 except for
port 23. This is to prevent users from operating servers contrary to the signed
agreement You will have to check with your provider. It is best to be above
board.

J.A. Coutts
Systems Engineer
Edsonet/TravPro