if my ISP won't "let go" of the DNS for my IP then can I not put it inmy DNS?

Jay Nugent jjn at home.nuge.com
Tue Oct 19 18:50:53 UTC 1999

Greetings,

On Tue, 19 Oct 1999, Harold Pritchett wrote:

> pls at post.here.adam wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > Sorry if the title is too obfuscated. I have a DSL line connected to
> > my home network w/ firewall.  Surfing, etc is fine.  However we'd also
> > like to host a website (or sites via apache's virtual domains).  While
> > I could access our site using the IP #, some of the people sharing the
> > costs wouldn't want them or their friends to have to do that.  Like
> > everyone else, we want a name on 'da net.
> >
> > Unfortunately when I spoke to our ISP/DSL provider (PacBell) they said
> > that for single IP dsl customers such as ourselves we cannot register
> > a domain and use our IP because PacBell "doesn't release or let go of
> > their DNS record for that IP".
>
> Why not just register all of the other domain names using "cname" records
> which point back to the PacBell name.  That way, you can have as many
> names registered as you wish, and not have to deal with the folks at
> PacBell.  You can even host different web homepages for each name
> using virtual hosting.  The reverse lookup will always work properly
> since the only "Cannonical" name for your host is the one PacBell
> has given it.
>
> Anyone see anything wrong with this idea?

   Just don't do any e-commerce/SSL or make available anything for
download from your site that is considered a munition (DES code) and you
should be fine :-)  Otherwise, feel free to assign as many domain/host
names to that address as you like.

      --- Jay

             /~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~/~~\
            |  Jay Nugent                 jjn at nuge.com |____|
            |  Nugent Telecommunications  www.nuge.com |
            |  Web-Pegasus          www.webpegasus.com |
            |  (734)971-1076        (734)971-4529 /Fax |
            | ISP & Modem Performance Monitoring Svcs. |
            | Discount Reseller of 123.Net ISP Services|
            | Internet Consulting / Linux SysAdmin     |
            | Web Hosting / DNS Hosting / Shell Accts. |
            | Embedded Controllers / Engr. & Design    |

  2:00pm  up 104 days, 11:07, 12 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00