Why does it take so long to telnet to a name ?? , if i do it on an ip addr. it responds immediately.

Carsten cfo at Remove.dmdata.dk
Tue Oct 19 07:38:07 UTC 1999

Hello world \n  :)

I have an Aix 4.xx machine that uses bind 4 and serves domain xx.yy.dk

I am using the /etc/hosts file and the h2n to make the zones.

I have made a /etc/resolv.conf , with the following in it.

nameserver  a.b.c.d
domain xx.yy.dk

named starts without any problems and is running ok when i do a ping
on a name.

ie ping unix1 , then it pings (resolves) immediately.

If i try a telnet or rsh unix1 it takes "forever" before it resolves
the name.

But if i telnet or rsh to unix1.xx.yy.dk then it resolves immediately.

I do have : 127.0.0.1 localhost
In the hosts file , and h2n makes the 1.0.0.127-inaddr.arpa file.

Can anyone help ?????

Regards

Carsten