nslookup: can't find server name for ... <again, sorry>

Tony Da Silva tony at idws.com
Tue Oct 19 07:47:38 UTC 1999

Hi All,

I am having this irritating error message when trying to do a nslookup "cannot find server name for address 192.168.1.5. Server failed. Default servers are not available."
I have gone through the FAQ posted here and everything seems ok. Also I have noticed that if I stop NDC and issue ps -aux there is still a named running - but issuing kill does not kill it. ?

Here is the files I have on the test machine:

named.conf
options {
        directory "/var/named";
        };

zone "idws.com" {
        type master;
        file "idws.com";
        };

zone    "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "named.local";
        };

zone    "1.168.192.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "192.168.1.5";
        };

idws.com:
@       IN      SOA     zeus.idws.com.  hostmaster.zeus.idws.com.  (
                                        99101901        ;
                                        10800           ;
                                        3600            ;
                                        3600000         ;
                                        86400  )        ;
                IN      NS      zeus.idws.com.
                IN      A       192.168.1.5
                IN      MX  10  zeus.idws.com.

zeus            IN      A       192.168.1.5
www             IN      A       zeus.idws.com.
localhost       IN      A       127.0.0.1

named.local:
@       IN      SOA     localhost.root.localhost.  (
                                1999101901  ;
                                28800       ;
                                14400       ;
                                3600000     ;
                                86400  )    ;
        IN      NS      zeus.idws.com.
1       IN      PTR     localhost.

192.168.1.5:
@       IN      SOA     zeus.idws.com.  hostmaster.zeus.idws.com.(
                                        99101901    ;
                                        10800       ;
                                        3600        ;
                                        3600000     ;
                                        86400  )    ;
@               IN      NS      zeus.idws.com.
5               IN      PTR     zeus.idws.com.
5.1.168.192     IN      PTR     zeus.idws.com.

/etc/resolv.conf
domain zeus.idws.com
nameserver 192.168.1.5

Any help will be appreciated as I am relatively new to this - and going through it myself over and over again might be why I don't find the problem ... ?

Thanking you in advance,
Tony