appendin '.com' query

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Fri Oct 15 19:48:42 UTC 1999

In article <7u7ika$nfe$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,  <peter_sands at my-deja.com> wrote:
>Our domain is set up as  a .com. I have a general query regarding this.
>If insert a A record with say 'hosta.com' into my zone file, it cannot
>be resolved, nslookup wil just hang there. If  i take off the .com part,
>(hosta) which is normal, it get's resolved.
>
>I know the .com get's appended to a hostname ( if your domain is a .com)
>but why will it not allow .com as hostnames in the zone file.

If you put a fully-qualified name in a zone file, you must end it with "."
to indicate that it's already qualified.  Otherwise, the current origin
will be appended to the name.  So if you have:

$ORIGIN com.
hosta.com  A  1.2.3.4

it will be treated as if you had written:

hosta.com.com.  A  1.2.3.4

To prevent that, write:

hosta.com.  A  1.2.3.4

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com