alternate port / alternate way for master DNS zone xfers ?

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Fri Oct 15 19:41:36 UTC 1999

> I have my own network with it's own DNS and it all works fine.
> My problem is that I have a link to someone else's network
> using a CISCO ISDN router that i have no control over.  My problem is
> that I cannot get my DNS to forward requests for their DNS through the
> router.  If I nslookup using their server it works fine, but if I use my
> server it fails.  I need my named to talk to their named as though it
> was a client and not a named itself.  Is this possible?

Do you want your name server to forward all queries to this remote name
server, or just queries for certain domain names?  In the former case, you
can configure their name server as your name server's forwarder.  In the
latter case, you'll need the conditional forwarding mechanism in BIND 8.2+.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
www.acmebw.com/training.htm for the
schedule and to register for upcoming
classes.