alternate port / alternate way for master DNS zone xfers ?

Jan Vicherek honza at ied.com
Fri Oct 15 03:29:56 UTC 1999

On Thu, 14 Oct 1999, Joseph S D Yao wrote:

> What is blocking DNS TCP?  Is it a firewall?  Is there a DNS proxy?  At
> some level, this must be negotiable.

  You mean these guys (the admins of the organization network) will
actually talk to me ? Ha ha ha ... :) Not a chance. Whatever I'm trying to
do is my business, and they won't do a thing to make me or brake me. I'm
totally of no interest to them. :-(

> BIND 8 tends to do "the right thing."  Without TCP, everything you do
> must be UDP, though, which limits certain things you can do.  Have you
> yet noticed any problems, though?

   Yup, whenever I try to setup a secondary outside on the Net, it never
gets updated. (I'm guessing that DNS zone xfer updates happen through
TCP.) I can do DNS lookups on the primary from the outside Net. (I'm
guessing that these happen only through UDP.)

  any hints would be welcome,

   thanx,

  -- Jan