DNS IP migration

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Tue Oct 12 17:49:25 UTC 1999

In article <111019991553350033%brianh at primenet.com>,
Brianh  <brianh at primenet.com> wrote:
>Tell me if the following makes sense.
>Right now my domain is pointing to the same IP number as my mail. I
>want to separate the IP numbers AND I want to migrate both to a Sun box
>(DNS and mail are currently running on the same Mac).
>
>Should I set up named on Solaris to act as a primary now with a new IP
>and then point the Mac DNS app at the Sun? Then I change the records at

By this I assume you mean configure the Mac as a slave DNS server, using
the Sun as its master, right?

>Internic from the Mac IP to the Sun IP? After a week, I shut down the
>Mac after I install that IP on the Sun with the new mail server?

Yes.

>If that makes sense, here's the possible complication. MacDNS does not
>act as a secondary DNS (hey, it's free).

In that case, just duplicate the data manually on the Mac.  There's nothing
technically wrong with having two master servers for a domain, it just
means that you can't use automated zone transfers to keep them in sync, you
have to use some other mechanism.

Or you could configure the Sun as a slave server, pointing to the Mac as
the primary.  A week after the InterNIC updates, reconfigure the Sun as a
master and shut down the Mac.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com