mail problem

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Thu Oct 7 21:51:43 UTC 1999

In article <79f32b15.252e6920 at aol.com>,  <S0LARlSTEK at aol.com> wrote:
>Is this a correct configuratin for a zone file (.db file) if the name of my
>mail server is web60.websgt.net.
>
>;
>; db.gtreseller.net
>; $Id$
>;
>@  IN  SOA  web60.websgt.net. webmaster.websgt.net. (
>                        1999100702      ; serial - yyyymmddhh
>                        28800           ; refresh after 8 hours
>                        3600            ; retry after 1 hour
>                        604800          ; expire after 1 week
>                        86400 )         ; minimum TTL - 1 day
>
>; Name Servers
>                IN  NS  ns1.websgt.net.
>                IN  NS  ns2.jtinternet.com.
>
>;
>gtreseller.net.          IN  MX          10 web60.websgt.net.
>localhost                IN  A           127.0.0.1
>gtreseller.net.          IN  A           216.32.58.62
>www.gtreseller.net.      IN  A           216.32.58.62
>
>Could the fact that my SOA records are not the same as my primary DNS be a
>problem, or cause problems with email.

No.  The only thing that cares about the hostname in the SOA record is
dynamic update.

>					 I am having problems sending mail to
>yahoo.com, earthlink.net and many other places.  Although can send to UIA.NET
>and AOL.COM

Is your outgoing mail going from www.gtreseller.net?  The problem may be
that there's no reverse DNS entry for 216.32.58.62.  Many mail servers now
refuse to accept mail from a remote address if they can't resolve its
address to a hostname.  You need to get Exodus to add a PTR record for this
address, or if this is a part of a range of addresses they've assigned to
you they could delegate reverse DNS to you (perhaps using RFC 2317 if you
don't have the entire class C).

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com