I'm so confused!!

David Spigelman dspigelm at acp.org
Thu Oct 7 17:43:49 UTC 1999

Okay, I'm trying to prepare a Sun machine to replace an older Sun
machine that is currently running my primary DNS server. I installed
Solaris 7 on the newer box, while the older one runs 2.6. Solaris 2.6
comes with a version of BIND 4, but Solaris 7 comes with BIND 8 (I think
someone here said it was 8.1).

I posted a message about converting 4 to 8, which was graciously
answered by Barry. Unfortunately, by the time I read his answer, I - at
times a bit over-zealous - had already downloaded and installed BIND
4.9.7. In order to do this, I had to make a number of changes, including
the commenting-out of certain sections of /usr/include/unistd.h
(otherwise the make failed).

In preparation for the switch-out of my two machines, I've given the
newer machine the same hostname and ip address as the old one, so it's
not currently attached to the network.

So now I've got 4.9.7 installed, but something's not quite right. When I
do an nslookup on the domains that this server is *supposed* to be
primary for, it comes back with the correct answer, but saying that the
information is "non-authoritative".

Now I've read Barry's original response to me, in which he tells me to
just run named-bootconf, which would give me the necessary named.conf
file. So I guess, here are my questions:

1. Should I continue with 4.9.7?
    1a. Why isn't it coming up quite right?
2. Should I move back to 8?
    2a. Which version? The one that came with Solaris 7, or should I
install the
           newest one I downloaded from isc.org?
    2b. If I do try to switch back, should I uncomment-out the section
of that library
          file?

My needs are fairly simple, I think. I'm not at all sure that I need the
enhanced-ness of BIND 8. Any comments would be appreciated!

-----
David Spigelman
Network Administrator
American Center for Physics