Internet & Localnet

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Mon Oct 4 14:20:03 UTC 1999

> On 30 Sep 1999 18:30:33 -0700, Mark_Andrews at isc.org wrote:
>

> >	Run two copies of named with different config files.  Create
> >	two named.confs (named.conf.internal and named.conf.external)
> >	like below.
> >
> >named.conf.internal:
> >	controls {
> >		unix "/var/run/ndc.internal" perm 0600 owner 0 group 0;
> >	};
> >
> Pardon me for butting in, but I just wanted to say thanx for solving
> the same problem for me. However, I have a couple of
> observations/questions, if you don't mind:
>
> 1) for some reason on my version of BIND (I'm running Caldera 2.2),
> the "controls" section you suggested doesn't work. Is it from BIND 4?
> Deleting "controls" doesn't seem to cause any harm.

	Why is assumed that we know what version of BIND is shipped with
	ever OS version on the planet?  Controls were introduced in BIND
	8.2.

> 2) I had to insert "forward first; forwarders {...external ip
> address...; };" into the options section of my named.conf.internal
> file in order for external lookups to work (I tested with nslookup). I
> presume that's because I left out the root/hints zone on my internal
> DNS. My question is:  was I correct to leave the roots/hints zone out
> of my internal DNS?

	It depends upon what view of the world you want it to present.
	If you want it to see the Internet as a whole then you need to
	configure it to do this.  That means hints and / or forwarders
	depending upon BIND version, forward mode and firewall
	configration (if you have one).  You can leave the hints out
	with forward only for BIND 8.2.1 or later otherwise you need
	hints.

	Mark

Thanx in advance for any additional help/feedback!

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org