Internet & Localnet

Mark Olbert mark at arcabama.com
Mon Oct 4 03:36:00 UTC 1999

On 30 Sep 1999 18:30:33 -0700, Mark_Andrews at isc.org wrote:

>	Run two copies of named with different config files.  Create
>	two named.confs (named.conf.internal and named.conf.external)
>	like below.
>
>named.conf.internal:
>	controls {
>		unix "/var/run/ndc.internal" perm 0600 owner 0 group 0;
>	};

Pardon me for butting in, but I just wanted to say thanx for solving
the same problem for me. However, I have a couple of
observations/questions, if you don't mind:

1) for some reason on my version of BIND (I'm running Caldera 2.2),
the "controls" section you suggested doesn't work. Is it from BIND 4?
Deleting "controls" doesn't seem to cause any harm.

2) I had to insert "forward first; forwarders {...external ip
address...; };" into the options section of my named.conf.internal
file in order for external lookups to work (I tested with nslookup). I
presume that's because I left out the root/hints zone on my internal
DNS. My question is:  was I correct to leave the roots/hints zone out
of my internal DNS?

Thanx in advance for any additional help/feedback!

- Mark