More questions on DNS

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Fri Oct 1 17:43:02 UTC 1999

> 1)  I have been setting up an internal DNS and I used the same domain as my
> www domain.  I do not host my www domain and thus I am not able to 'ping'
> my www site.  I get "unknown host".  I am using "192.168.0.x" for my
> internal host and it is not the same address group as my www domain.  Is
> there a way I could correct this????

Make one or the other a subdomain or other separate domain.  The
internal server can serve the internal domain; the external server can
serve the external domain.  With unresolved requests being forwarded
"out", the external server will handle them.

> 2) I am using an internet sharing device, which has its own TCP/IP address.
> I am able to get addresses of external internet servers (i.e.: www.sco.com)
> but I cannot successfully 'ping'  the site.  I lose all the ping packets (in
> UNIX) or Request timed out (in Windows 98 -- DOS ping).  How can I fix this?

What kind of device?  Our firewall, which is a true firewall and not an
IP filter, blocks all 'ping's.  It is a secure feature, not a bug, and
therefore is not to be "fixed".  Especially if you are using RFC 1918
addresses internally! - this is another reason not to "fix" this!

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B