Reverse DNS problems, local hostnames replaced by those of UUNet

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Mon Nov 15 15:11:18 UTC 1999

In article <4.2.2.19991113042859.00d7dc70 at wingate>,
Pancho Cole  <pancho at acadia.net> wrote:
>I help manage 2 name servers - p1.acadia.net and p3.acadia.net.
>Our service is multi-homed with feeds provided by UUNet and Cable and Wireless.
>Recently, some customers started complaining that they have been denied ftp
>access to other sites, when they investigated they (found out/were told)
>that we did not have reverse DNS working on our end. (not true).
>I found out the IPs that the people were having trouble with resolved
>correctly on most name servers, but on some I saw a completely different
>host name for that IP. (63.77.9.218 is one of those addresses). As that is
>a UUNet IP I asked AUTH03.NS.UU.NET for information on 63.77.9.218 and it
>said that was host218.acadia.net:
>Served by:
>- p1.acadia.net
>           205.217.211.1
>           acadia.net
>- P3.acadia.net
>           205.217.210.1
>           acadia.net
>--
>It gets more complicated: our name server started caching the UUNet host
>names for these IPs, as some folks on other services found out. I am
>restarting named every few days to clear out these entries, though that is
>not my ideal.
>
>Now, we were supposed to be authoritative for our own addresses. We sent
>some messages out to UUNet, but have not heard back. Am I correct in
>thinking that they are no longer delegating the resolution to us? This is
>causing us a great deal of difficulty. What do you folks suttest

I can't reproduce the problem.  When I do that query, I get a referral to
your servers (the auth##.ns.uu.net servers are non-recursive servers):

% dig -x 63.77.9.218 ptr @auth00.ns.uu.net

; <<>> DiG 2.2 <<>> -x ptr @auth00.ns.uu.net
; (1 server found)
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr rd; Ques: 1, Ans: 0, Auth: 2, Addit: 2
;; QUESTIONS:
;;	218.9.77.63.in-addr.arpa, type = PTR, class = IN

;; AUTHORITY RECORDS:
9.77.63.in-addr.arpa.	21600	NS	P1.ACADIA.NET.
9.77.63.in-addr.arpa.	21600	NS	P3.ACADIA.NET.

;; ADDITIONAL RECORDS:
P1.ACADIA.NET.	86400	A	205.217.211.1
P3.ACADIA.NET.	86400	A	205.217.210.1

;; Total query time: 16 msec
;; FROM: tools to SERVER: auth00.ns.uu.net  198.6.1.65
;; WHEN: Mon Nov 15 10:06:36 1999
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 42  rcvd: 138

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com