Reverse DNS problems, local hostnames replaced by those of UUNet

Pancho Cole pancho at acadia.net
Sat Nov 13 09:45:02 UTC 1999

I help manage 2 name servers - p1.acadia.net and p3.acadia.net.
Our service is multi-homed with feeds provided by UUNet and Cable and Wireless.
Recently, some customers started complaining that they have been denied ftp
access to other sites, when they investigated they (found out/were told)
that we did not have reverse DNS working on our end. (not true).
I found out the IPs that the people were having trouble with resolved
correctly on most name servers, but on some I saw a completely different
host name for that IP. (63.77.9.218 is one of those addresses). As that is
a UUNet IP I asked AUTH03.NS.UU.NET for information on 63.77.9.218 and it