Solaris 2.6 with Bind 8

Clifford Barney cbarney at gossamer-web.com
Thu Nov 11 08:00:23 UTC 1999

Hi everyone,

I have extracted some valuable tips from this news group so thought I
would announce that we have our DNS up and working. It's tricky, but we
plowed through it. I could probably provide some answers to people
trying to set up Bind 8 on Solaris for the first time. The available
documentation sucks, and we figured it out mostly through 1) monkey
see/monkey do and 2) try this...no, WAIT...dang. I included an actual
working named.conf file below for group reference.

Anyway, my dumb question for this group is as follows:

We have the DNS running and it is responding correctly to our queries
from our DNS utility (DNS Expert from www.menandmice.com --- good
product with 7 day free trial). However, when we try to go to any of our
sites via the web, it keeps going to the old IP address. What gives? Is
this some sort of propagation thingy or what? Or is it not reading from
our new DNS and going to the secondary DNS somewhere else?

Clifford Barney
Gossamer Web, Inc.

An actual working named.conf file
# cat named.conf
// BIND 8.x configuration file

options {
        directory "/usr/local/sbin";
        transfers-per-ns 2;
        transfer-format many-answers;
        allow-transfer {
                localhost;
                };
        query-source address * port 53;
controls {
 unix "/usr/local/sbin/ndc" perm 0600 owner gossadm group 0;
}
};

//
// Non specific name files