FAO: Barry Margolin

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Fri Nov 5 23:21:53 UTC 1999

In article <7vupnc$7ot$1 at soap.pipex.net>,
Marc Redmile-Gordon <marc at carsplus.co.uk> wrote:
>named.hosts contains all local hosts, and remote hosts in the same format
> different network ip's though ) :

Why do you have remote hosts in your named.hosts file?  You should be
looking up names remote domains by querying their servers.

>hostname        IN A    IPaddress
>
>I do not include the domain name here.

For a remote host, does the entry look like:

hostname.otherdomain.com  IN A  address

All names in your named.hosts file will have your local domain appended to
them, so that's equivalent to:

hostname.otherdomain.com.yourdomain.com.  IN A  address

You can't mix multiple domains in one zone file.  For each domain that you
want to host on your server, you need to create a separate zone file for
the names in that domain, with corresponding entries in named.conf.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com