Problem with BIND 8.2.2 NOTIFY

Russell Senior seniorr at teleport.com
Fri Nov 5 08:35:54 UTC 1999

Markus> Also, even if the NOTIFY is successfully sent, you may not see
Markus> much traffic, as the secondaries first check the SOA and
Markus> decide whether to AXFR or not.

I think I have discovered the problem.  tcpdump is showing that the
secondary is rejecting the NOTIFY, probably (?) because it is coming
from a different address than it is expecting.  The host is using IP
aliasing to attach multiple IP numbers to an interface and the notify
message is coming from a different IP number than the name server is
configured to listen on.  Is there a way to force a from address for
the NOTIFY messages?  I've tried the `transfer-source' option in the
named.conf file with no luck.

--
Russell Senior         ``The two chiefs turned to each other.
seniorr at teleport.com     Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible