FAQ reply: clarification master vs secondary

Khachaturov, Vassilii Vassilii at icomverse.com
Wed Nov 3 10:00:08 UTC 1999

Also, the "master" and "secondary" words describe a server
*in respect to a particular domain*.

(BTW, whereas "master" doesn't necessarily mean "I am the one who knows best
and is the central authority for that domain, all come to me with questions
for that domain." It just means -- "I am pre-configured locally with that
domain, and am not going to pull any other server with any updates for it,
even if I get a notify". "secondary" means just the opposite -- periodic
pulls + (newer servers) readiness to handle notify.)

IT DOESN'T MEAN that a "master box" dictates everything in its DNS server
config/data to be replicated to all its "secondary boxes". Of course, future
BIND ver-s might or might not support that concept as well.

HTH,
Vassilii Khachaturov
http://www.tarunz.org/~vassilii/
Skribu al mi per Esperanto!