TLD alias? TLD CNAME?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Nov 1 19:59:08 UTC 1999

You could use the same zone file for all of the domains (using the
"@" notation to signify the origin). That would enable you to register a
bunch of .com's without the hassle of managing a bunch of identical zone
files.

But, JUST SAY NO! This is namespace pollution. Put your products under a
subdomain. You can still use the "one zone file, multiple zones" trick, but
at least you'll not be clogging up .com with product names. Sheesh.

(For those who may think I'm being hypocritical, given the number of
"marketing" domains DaimlerChrysler has registered, e.g.
gnarlycoolgroovy.com, I've protested virtually all of them. In very large
organizations, however, sometimes one simply gets overruled in such
matters).

- Kevin