Linux box as secondary dns server

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Wed Jun 23 18:07:50 UTC 1999

In article <3770D5C4.14F88A27 at ncdc.noaa.gov>,
Doug Snowden  <dsnowden at ncdc.noaa.gov> wrote:
>1. How can I tell what version of bind I'm running on an AIX machine?

Check the log message produced when BIND starts up.

>2. Does the version of bind on the AIX machine have to be compatible
>    with the Linux box?

No.  Pretty much all versions of BIND are compatible in this regard.

>3. Any web sites out there that give a nuts and bolts description of how
>    to do what I want to?

The DNS Resource Directory, <http://www.dns.net/dnsrd/> should be a good
starting point.  Of course, if you're running DNS servers you should really
have a copy of the O'Reilly DNS & BIND book.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com