More BIND 4.9.2 to BIND 8.2 problems

Jim Reid jim at mpn.cp.philips.com
Thu Jun 17 09:32:08 UTC 1999

    Andrew> some quick history: Our old nameserver was running
    Andrew> BIND4.9.2.  When it died, I just copied all my zone (.db)
    Andrew> files and my named.boot file to my new server which is
    Andrew> setup with BIND8.2.  I ran named-bootconf on my old
    Andrew> named.boot to get the BIND8.2-style named.conf Then, I
    Andrew> start up named.  The two problems I have are: 1) My syslog
    Andrew> shows a "no default TTL" error for each zone as it loads.
    Andrew> Then I get a "using SOA minimum" for the each zone.  2)
    Andrew> And, once all my zones are loaded, my "root" zone
    Andrew> "jps.net" will not resolve to authoritative look ups.

You can fix "problem" 1 by adding a $TTL directive to each master zone
file you name server loads. Take a look at doc/html/master.html in the
documentation tarball. [The message in your syslog is just a warning
that the name server is using the SOA TTL field for the default TTL on
the zone's resource records. This is because BIND8.2 uses the new
RFC2308 semantics for controlling negative caching.]

Problem 2 is probably because the zone file for jps.net contains
errors. Check the name server logs. BIND8 is much more picky about
the zone data it loads. It won't let you away with things like illegal
hostnames, data for other zones, etc, etc that BIND4 didn't bother to
check or complain about. I'm assuming that what you mean by "jps.net
will not resolve to authoritative look ups" is that your BIND8 name
server is not authoritative for jps.net like you expect it to be.