Zone Transfer fails - non authoritative

Thomas/Shurflo thomas at shurflo.com
Sun Jun 13 03:51:23 UTC 1999

We have a DNS server that's been the DNS server for at least 3 years.
I've maintained it (didn't set it up though) and added other zones for
which it IS authoritative. It's getting on in years and we want to move
the DNS to another server, but when I configure the other server as a
secondary server, the Zone transfers do not occur.

I've been through the O'Reilly book a number of times and can't figure
it out. I've setup several Primary servers for other sites with no
problems.

When I try a manual zone transfer using named-xfer, I get the message:

# named-xfer -z waller.com -f  /var/named/db.waller -s 0 wayson
named-xfer[2270]: [192.168.10.100] not authoritative for waller.com, SOA
query got rcode 0, aa 0, ancount 1, aucount 0

I've changed the domains and DNS server to waller and wayson
respectively in this example (to protect the guilty).

Anyone have any ideas?