sort of dynamic dns question

chris ulrich jawa!cdu at uunet.uu.net
Thu Jun 10 19:58:29 UTC 1999

  I want to setup a cluster of systems where each member of the
cluster is configured identically.  I want the advertised name
to resolve to the ip of the member of the cluster that has the
lowest load.

  I wrote a script that sshes to each member of the cluster and
runs uptime.  It then writes out a zone file that has that cluster
member's IP as the A record for that name and then hups named.
The script does this periodically.

  Is there a more straight forward way to achieve what I want?
Are there other examples that do what I'm doing already? I've
seen mechanisms that interpose themselves between the internet
and the cluster and act as a proxy, but those have reliability
problems and they cost money.
chris