Problems with naming resolution

Michael Voight mvoight at cisco.com
Wed Jun 9 14:02:25 UTC 1999

John Tan wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Other people seem to be having problems accessing / resolving names via my
> name server. For example, if I try ls -d internet.gov.sg. from
> other name servers I get an unspecified error. But I seem to be able
> to query correctly. Intermittently users complain that they cannot
> resolve the DNS names. The DNS is pridns.gov.sg. appreciate any assistance.

Are you doing ls -d from the authoritative server?
ls -d is basically a zone transfer from the server you currently are
using in the nslookup.

For instance, if you are on nameserver 127.0.0.1 and it is primary or
secndary for me.com, an ls of me.com should work. However if you are on
non authoritative server, it would be a problem as it can't transfer a
zone it doesn't have.

And, if you are pointing to an authoritative nameserver and do ls while
logged into a remote machine, you are asking that server to transfer
that info to you (tcp port 53). So, a firewall might block it or the
server might be restricting it.

Michael

Michael