Reverse DNS Lookup

David T. Smith dsmith at uswebcks.com
Wed Jun 2 18:55:53 UTC 1999

At 09:50 AM 6/2/99 PDT, Matt Wade wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm having trouble setting up my classless reverse delegation.
>
>My ISP (concentric.net) has delegated the IP addresses
>209.220.225.24/29 to my name server (dns1.dcaccess.net).
>
>I've read RFC 2317 and the DNS & BIND book. Concentric's name server
>(nameserver.concentric.net) and my name server seem to be setup
>correctly. Httpd reverse lookups seem to work (I can download the
>128bit version of Netscape).
>
>However, when remote users try and log into my FTP server
>(ftp.dcaccess.net), it takes over a minute to get connected.  I know
>this is a reverse lookup error, but I can't figure out how to fix it.
>
>When I use nslookup I get output like this:
># nslookup
>Default Server:  cameron.dcaccess.net
>Address:  209.220.225.26
>Aliases:  26.225.220.209.in-addr.arpa
>
>Is that Aliases line OK? or is that my problem? Any help would be
>GREATLY appreciated. Let me know if you need more information.

You may be OK.  I looked at your in-addr.arpa. records and they
should be fine.  I also connected to your FTP server and it prompted
me for a login ID immediately.  Your users probably do not have
reverse resolution for _their_ addresses.

>-Matt

DTS

D A V I D  T .   S M I T H
Principal Consultant, Network Solutions
USWeb/CKS Corporation       http://www.uswebcks.com/
50 Washington Street 6th Floor
South Norwalk, CT 06854
ph:  1 203 857 0080
fax: 1 203 857 0082
mailto: dsmith at uswebcks.com

USWeb/CKS - A Strategic Partner for the Information Age