A problem with AXFR

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Wed Jun 2 14:32:43 UTC 1999

In article <37546579.19BF5BA at free.fr>,
SGT LEMAIRE Olivier  <sgt.lemaire at free.fr> wrote:
>Hello,
>    I'm using a BIND 8.2 DNS on Linux to be my primary dns on a zone
>named "my.zone".
>    The context is not Internet but a private Intranet (with multiple
>LAN).
>
>    Everything was ok to this day (it lasted for 7 month without
>problems...) but since yesterday I've got the following problem :
>
>The named service wortk at startup for a little amount of time, and then
>cease functionning: named is still in my process list, bu do not seems
>to work.
>My configuration did not change last days, so I checked the
>/var/log/messages to find a new entry relating to my dns :
>it' speaking about "approved AXFR" from a IP@ " from a connected LAN.
>I tried to check de documentation about AXFR but i found nothing.

AXFR is the code for zone transfer.  If it's not a nameserver, it probably
means someone did an "ls" command in nslookup.

I've never heard of a zone transfer causing a server to stop responding.
Perhaps you should use "ndc trace" to see what the server's doing.

>Can anyone help me ? For now, I'm gonna test the "notify no" in my
>/etc/named.conf to cease notifing this foreign IP@ and in case it's not
>enough, restart my named each minutes....

Unless that server is named in an NS record for one of your zones, you're
not notifying it in the first place.

If you want to prevent zone transfers, use the allow-transfer option.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com