DNS Local OK, DNS Remote not...

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Tue Jun 1 20:18:09 UTC 1999

> On a new DNS under RH5.2 (Bind 8.x):
> On the Linux machine we can nslookup local and remote DNs.
> A remote DNS can query ours and get responses for the programmed registered
> domains.
> Other machines on our net can query the Linux DNS and get the programmed
> registered domains.
> Other machines on our net CAN'T query the Linux DNS and get remote domain
> resolution.

A lot here was assumed and left unsaid.

What is in resolv.conf on the Linux machine?  This controls from what
machine 'nslookup' running on the Linux machine will resolve queries.

What is in the resolv.conf or equivalent on the other machines?  In
other words, how do you KNOW that they're using the Linux machine to
resolve queries?

Are you forwarding in your named.conf?  To what IP addresses?  What
else do you have in your named.conf besides:
	the forward DNS zones
	the reverse DNS zones
	the usual defaults for net 127 et al.
What options do you have set?