DNS Local OK, DNS Remote not...

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Tue Jun 1 19:05:08 UTC 1999

In article <7ivcur$1out at enews1.newsguy.com>, CF <sage at the-i.net> wrote:
>On a new DNS under RH5.2 (Bind 8.x):
>
>On the Linux machine we can nslookup local and remote DNs.

Does /etc/resolv.conf on the Linux machine point to itself?

>A remote DNS can query ours and get responses for the programmed registered
>domains.
>
>Other machines on our net can query the Linux DNS and get the programmed
>registered domains.
>
>Other machines on our net CAN'T query the Linux DNS and get remote domain
>resolution.

It sounds to me like you have recursion disabled and the Linux machine
isn't querying itself, so it doesn't run into the problem.  Both other
machines on your net are querying the Linux machine and being blocked
because you disabled recursion.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com