question about serial numbers

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Mon Jun 28 18:44:07 UTC 1999

In article <19990626010513.C23044 at samurai.com>,
Bryan Fullerton  <bryanf at samurai.com> wrote:
>On Fri, Jun 25, 1999 at 09:36:38PM -0700, Bill Manning <bmanning at ISI.EDU> wrote:
>>
>> 	Er, yes they are.  Serial numbers are not dates.
>> 	A serial number is a signed integer.  Please see
>> 	RFC 1982 for details. Impuing a date on a signed
>> 	number is one way to help humans. DNS does not care.
>
>DNS does not care what format you use, but you will if you're using a
>serial number in the format YYMMDDN. A serial number which, for example,
>updates from 9912311 to 0001011 (which BIND sees as 1011) would probably
>be a bad thing.

Who says that the next serial number after 9912311 will be 0001011?  Maybe
it will be 10001011.  I.e. their scheme is actually <year-1900>MMDDN.  You
can't tell just by looking at their current serial numbers; you need to see
the script they're using to create their zone files, if any, or see into
the future to determine what they're planning on doing next year.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com